After seven years of planning and two years of construction, the new Ronald McDonald House BC and Yukon opened to serve families on July 7, 2014.
Since 1983, we have opened our doors and arms to overwhelmed families who travel to Vancouver in search of life-saving treatment for their seriously ill child. More than just a place to stay, RMH BC is a place for families to heal better, together.
Our House on Angus Drive could accommodate 13 families each night, but the demand for our services was much greater. That’s why we built a new House on the grounds of BC Children’s Hospital which will serve 73 families each night – that’s almost 2,000 families in need each year!
Our new House was made possible by the generosity of BC and Yukon residents. Help us keep families close when it matters most.
Ronald McDonald House BC and Yukon was designed with families in mind. Our key concern was to make our House a ‘home’ even as we increased in size, so we divided it into four homelike Pavilions (Forest, Beach, Mountain, and River), each with their own kitchens and cozy common lounges.
In addition, Ronald McDonald House BC and Yukon offers:
- Room for more families with seriously ill children – up to 73 families at a time
- Accommodation for the entire family in spacious private guestrooms, each with their own bathroom
- Four professionally equipped kitchens and two dining rooms.
- Welcoming indoor and outdoor lounge areas which encourage families to meet others in similar situations.
- Great play spaces including a LEGO lounge and Magic Room.
- Arts & Crafts Studio, where young artists can express themselves.
- Teen Lounge, an adult-free zone where our guests who are too young to vote can hang out with friends and siblings.
- Indoor fitness
centre, helping parents to stay active during their stay.
All of these great amenities are only steps from BC Children’s Hospital.
Save-On-Foods Pantry Program
We are thrilled to partner with Save-On-Foods to provide a new pantry program for our families. Each week, Save-On-Foods delivers a donation of food, beverages, and household products to help stock our home away from home and assist families experiencing hardship.
Thank you to Save-On-Foods for helping to ensure our families’ comfort while staying with us.
Thank You to Our Campaign Cabinet
The Campaign for A New Ronald McDonald House was led by a team of dedicated British Columbians. The Campaign Cabinet includes:
- Gary Segal, Chair
- Bob Faulkner
- Jon Festinger Q.C.
- Lyall Knott Q.C.
- J. Calvin MacInnis
- Josephine Nadel, BA, LL.B
- Suki Sekhon
- Peter Snell
Our new House has been
- Governor General’s Medal in Architecture
- Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia Award for Architecture
- BC Masonry Design Award
- Wood Design Award
- Vancouver User Experience Award (for the Magic Room)
STAY IN TOUCH.
Sign up to get information from Ronald McDonald House BC straight to your inbox.
We’ll email you every-so-often with inspiring stories, upcoming events, information about our mission and programs, and ways to get involved with the RMHBC community.